12/10/08

Choice

What is the human will? Wherein does its freedom consist? It is my will to write upon this theme, yet I am conscious that it would not be my will but for the constraint of another Will, which is not mine. It is my will to do the will of God, to submerge my will in His. And, however contradictory it may seem, I have no freedom in doing my own will. There is no liberty for me but in the will of the Lord. So it will be seen that the human will is not absolute, and its freedom is relative. We shall see, as we consider the matter further, that there is no freedom for the will apart from subjection to God, nor is there any absolute determination except on the part of the Creator.

It's never been our intention to even imply that man's will is totally free. Is God's will totally free? Isn't even His will constrained by His very Nature? Can He go against what He inherently is? But what we do not imply, but actually state is that as humans we can freely decide whether or not to make certain moral choices. And as far we know we are making those choices using the faculties that God has given us. And also, as far as we know, God is rightly holding us responsible for those choices.